For those self employed owners who haven’t yet not yet applied, but still are considering there eligibility, we would like to bring light to the recently revised eligibility criteria.
Currently this program is eligible to workers who fit the following criteria:
- Reside in Canada, who are at least 15 years old;
- Who have stopped working because of reasons related to COVID-19 or are eligible for Employment Insurance regular or sickness benefits or have exhausted their Employment Insurance regular benefits or Employment Insurance fishing benefits between December 29, 2019 and October 3, 2020;
- Who had employment and/or self-employment income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and,
- Who have not quit their job voluntarily.
Things to consider, when deciding whether to apply:
When submitting your first claim, you cannot have earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income for 14 or more consecutive days within the four-week benefit period of your claim.
When submitting subsequent claims, you cannot have earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income for the entire four-week benefit period of your new claim
Self Employment Criteria
Self Employed Individuals may qualify for the CERB Program if:
- You are an individual who owns a business. You were forced to close your doors because of COVID-19.
- You are an independent contractor who has no work because of COVID-19. However, you get more than $1,000 (before taxes) after March 15th for work done in February.
- You are a self-employed person who got sick with COVID-related symptoms and you cannot work.
- You are a self-employed person eligible for EI who got sick, but not necessarily with COVID-19, after March 15th
Although program has ended, Retroactive applications are still being accepted for a limited time.
Even though the CERB has ended, the CRA is continuing to accept and process retroactive applications until December 2, 2020. If your would like assistance in determining your eligibility or processing the application for the program, please contact us or feel free to book an appointment so that we can assist you,